The Atlanta History Center is hosting a FREE Day of the Dead Festival, known as Dia de los Muertos in Spanish. The event takes place on Sunday, October 31, 2021, from noon to 5:00 p.m.
Capacity is limited, so you’ll need to register online for tickets.
At this family-friendly festival, you can learn all about this traditional celebration and enjoy authentic food, costumes, and entertainment.
There will be an exhibit of traditional altars that are set up to honor deceased friends and family.
Dia de Los Muertos costumes are welcomed and encouraged. The style of dress associated with this celebration is known as Catrin (male) and Catrina (female). You can buy costumes in this style on Amazon.
There will be fun workshop and craft activity stations — some are FREE and some come with a small fee to cover supplies. Kids can decorate their own colorful sugar skulls, hats, and masks, as well as enjoy other traditional crafts.
There will be Day of the Dead arts and crafts available for purchase, along with traditional food vendors.
Live entertainment includes mariachi bands and other performers in several locations during the entire event.
You may also be interested in:
- Discounts for Stone Mountain's Pumpkin Festival "Glow by Night" attraction
- Best pumpkin patches, corn mazes, and haunted attractions in 2021
- 2021 guide to apple festivals and U-pick orchards
- Discounts for the Buford Corn Maze & Haunted Forest
- Fall farmers markets around Atlanta
- Free and cheap things to do this week
- Over 100 Halloween events, plus ideas for safer celebrations
- 30+ FREE trick-or-treat events for kids
Getting there and parking
The Atlanta History Center is located in Atlanta’s Buckhead neighborhood, at 1300 West Paces Ferry Road.
The museum has limited parking, and you’re encouraged to use MARTA or a rideshare service like Uber or Lyft.
You can also pay $20 for event parking at the One Buckhead Plaza parking deck, located at 3060 Peachtree Rd NW, Atlanta, GA 30305 — this is about a ten-minute walk from the Atlanta History Center.