The Atlanta History Center will present its annual Juneteenth program on Sunday, June 19th, 2022 from 9 a.m to 5 p.m. There will be a wide variety of programs — including Black history dramatizations, family-friendly activities, food, music, art, and more.
The party starts at noon, with Jubilee on the Lawn, in front of the Swan House on the History Center grounds.
Everything is FREE to attend.
Advance registration online is recommended but not required.
At the History Center, you’ll be invited to view a 5-minute film about the history of Juneteenth, take part in a voting simulation activity that highlights the obstacles Black people experienced while trying to vote, and get a glimpse of a dark past through a narrated story at the Smith Farm’s Enslaved People’s Cabin.
There are also scheduled history dramatizations, including:
* Mama Koku’s storytelling (10 a.m., 11 a.m., and 12:30 p.m.)
* Meet Alonzo Herndon, who went on to become one of the most prominent businessmen in Atlanta in the early 1900s. (9 scheduled performances between 9:30 a.m. and 3 p.m.)
* “The Order of Freedom: Galveston, June 19, 1865” (10:30 a.m, noon, 1:30 p.m. and 3 p.m.) A 25-minute performance that explores the origin of Juneteenth.
Jubilee on the Lawn starts at noon and runs till 5 p.m. This is an outdoor event.
It includes a deejay, spoken word performances, a brass band, face painting, a 360-degree photo booth, lawn games, and a genealogy resource kiosk.
There will be plenty of food and drink at Jubilee on the Lawn. The bar will be open for beer, wine, rum punch, soft drinks, juice, and sparkling water.
Food trucks will operate from noon to 5 p.m., including:
* Love at First Bite
* C-Bo’s BBQ
* 2 Cones
* Coco D’s Italian Ice
You may also be interested in:
- 4th of July fireworks and celebrations
- Enjoy $2 movies with Regal Summer Express
- 15 summer festivals happening in metro Atlanta
- Have a close-up butterfly encounter this summer
- Complete guide to 2022 free summer concerts
- Enjoy a night under the stars: free outdoor movies in 2022
- Free outdoor community yoga and fitness classes this summer