The High Museum of Art is open to the public again, and is resuming FREE Second Sundays and Museums on Us admission days with a limited capacity. This means you’ll have to reserve your spot in advance, online.
The High Museum of Art is one of Atlanta’s most popular attractions. It has more than 15,000 works of art in its permanent collection, and sponsors special exhibits several times a year. With so many reasons to visit often, Atlantans are always looking for admission deals, coupon codes, and ticket discounts for the High Museum.
This page will keep track of all the current discounts available, so be sure to bookmark it and visit often.
You could also subscribe to our daily newsletter for reminders of all upcoming free days and discounts.
Re-opening info for the High Museum
The High Museum will re-open first to those who hold a membership, plus all frontline workers, who will get FREE admission with a valid ID. These dates are July 7 to July 17. The museum does not define “frontline workers,” but we can assume it includes healthcare workers and perhaps first responders.
The museum will open to the general public on Saturday, July 18th.
There will be a new timed-ticket system, and safety measures in place.
Free outdoor exhibit: Murmuration
A new, interactive art installation is now open on the grounds of the Woodruff Arts Campus. As with all outdoor exhibits, it is free for the public to explore.
Murmuration consists of a 2,350-square-foot mesh canopy that evokes the environment of neighboring trees. This sculptural pavilion, complete with feeding stations and perches, also reflects upon the loss of billions of birds in recent decades. Visitors are invited to “perch and nest” alongside the birds in this outdoor mesh canopy.
The temporary exhibit is on display through November 29, 2020. Get more info.
The photo below depicts the installation process!
Free admission on Second Sundays
On Second Sundays of each month at The High Museum of Art, museum admission is free from noon until 5:00 p.m.
UPDATE: You now need to reserve a timed ticket to participate in this free admission day. The number of visitors is limited, and there will be no special programming. No walk-ups will be admitted on Second Sundays. One capacity is reached, tickets will no longer be available.
The next Second Sunday FREE day is September 13, 2020.
From the High website:
- No person will be admitted without a reserved timed ticket.
- Each ticket holder will be required to arrive by their designated time slot.
- No person(s) will be admitted after a 10-minute window has passed. There will be no exceptions.
Free admission through the Museums on Us program
That credit or debit card in your wallet just might gain you FREE admission to the High Museum of Art once a month, through the Museums On Us program.
The next free days through Museums on Us are September 5th and 6th. Please verify the status of the event before you head out!
The qualifying cards include credit/debit cards from Bank of America, Merrill Lynch, and U.S. Trust.
Note that only the cardholder gets a free ticket. If you’re taking your family, regular prices apply to non-cardholders. The program also excludes special events, special exhibitions, and ticketed shows.
This is how it works:
- Go to the High’s ticketing page to reserve your time slot on a free Museums on Us day.
- Use the promo code BOA2020 to redeem the free ticket offer. You’ll also be able to buy regular-price tickets for anyone coming with you.
- Take your qualifying Bank of America or Merrill Lynch credit or debit card AND a photo ID to the museum with you for free entrance.
You may also be interested in:
- Subscribe to our daily newsletter and stay in the know!
- Metro Atlanta area Farmers Markets, listed by day of the week
- Free and cheap things to do this week
- Local daily deals from Groupon
- Atlanta on the Cheap events calendar
Free Teacher Appreciation Days
The next FREE Teacher Appreciation Day is Saturday, February 22, 2020.
Educators are admitted free and may bring one free guest. School ID required.
More for your buck on First Fridays
NOTE: The First Friday program appears to have been suspended, possibly for the rest of 2020.
The popular First Fridays program doesn’t discount admission prices — instead, it adds MORE to what you get for the price of a ticket, to sweeten the deal. This event happens on the first Friday of each month, from 6 to 9 p.m. There is generally a limited cash bar, live music performances, gallery talks, and special activities or workshops that follow a monthly theme.
To see the special programming planned for the current First Friday event, check the High Museum’s Facebook events page.
The High Museum of Art is located at 1280 Peachtree St., in the heart of Atlanta’s busy Midtown area. If you drive, you can park in the attached parking deck, but it is pricey — usually a minimum of $15.
Considering the cost of parking, it often makes sense to take Uber or Lyft to get to the High Museum.
There’s also MARTA. With the Arts Center Station right across the street from the back of the Woodruff Arts Center campus, this is one of the simpler venues to get to on the train.
Directions with MARTA
- Take any red and gold line train to the Arts Center MARTA station.
- Exit the train and follow the signs pointing to Arts Center Way, which requires going up three levels (avoid exiting via West Peachtree Street).
- Once you’ve reached street level, the High is just across the street. You’ll find a stairway and elevator that lead directly to the courtyard.
Note: If you are commuting from the blue or green line, you have to travel to the Five Points MARTA station and transfer to the first northbound train.
Atlanta, GA 30309
Atlanta, GA 30309
Atlanta, GA 30309