If you haven’t been to The High Museum of Art in a while, now’s an awesome time to go. There are quite a few special exhibitions on display that look like they’re well worth the trip.
The A Conspiracy of Icons: The Art of Donald Locke exhibition, on view through April 24, 2017, highlights Locke’s multicultural exploration through a selection of paintings and sculptures. And you’ll find five images making up the Celebrating Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. exhibit on view outside of the Greene Family Learning Gallery through March 12, 2017. Plus, five of Hale Woodruff’s Talladega Murals will be on view in the High’s Anne Cox Chambers Wing through May 7, 2017–the sixth is part of the Cross Country exhibition, which opened on earlier this month.
Speaking of, the Cross Country: The Power of Place in American Art, 1915–1950 exhibition is fantastic. On view through May 7, 2017, Cross Country brings together 200+ works by 80+ artists. The exhibition is arranged geographically, and it highlights artists “who channeled the power of American places outside of city limits between 1915 and 1950. Shortly after World War I, the U.S. population became increasingly urban rather than rural, but where artists lived did not necessarily dictate where they worked. In addition to developments in infrastructure and industry—such as the automobile and the interstate system—grants, commissions, the lure of newly established art schools and artist colonies, and various Depression-era government agencies stimulated artists to explore far-flung locales.”
For a hands-on experience, check out Tiovivo: Whimsical Sculptures by Jaime Hayon, on display in Sifly Piazza through March 5, 2017. The large-scale outdoor works are always worth exploring, especially if you have little ones with you.
Want to explore the High Museum of Art on the cheap? Take advantage of a discount ticket deal (or, even better, free admission) to the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, no coupon code required.
1) Bank of America cardholders get free admission on the first full weekend of the month, thanks to the Museums on Us program (discount applies to cardholder only). The next free admission weekend will be March 4 & 5, 2017.
2) On Second Sundays at The High Museum of Art, museum admission is free from noon-5:00 p.m., and there’ll be special activities & workshops. The next Second Sundays free admission day will take place on March 12, 2016.
3) All active & veteran military personnel as well as one guest will receive free admission to The High Museum of Art & free parking in the Woodruff Arts Center deck with proof of service. Proof of service includes valid military, retiree, military/retiree dependent identification card or a DD Form 214 (Report of Separation).
4) While they last, $30 buys two tickets to The High Museum of Art + a $20 gift card to Fifth Group Restaurants (South City Kitchen, La Tavola, The Original El Taco, & more), thanks to an offer on Poshdealz.
5) Friday, March 10, 2017 is Teen Night at The High Museum of Art. There’ll be live music, gallery tours, a poetry slam, hands-on art-making workshops, theatre performances, & more. Admission is $5 with a high school ID.
And mark your calendars for upcoming exhibitions:
- On view March 4–May 21, 2017: Daniel Arsham: Hourglass
- On view March 4–June 11, 2017: The Spirit of the Place: Photographs by Jack Leigh
- On view April 1, 2017–January 21, 2018: Painter and Poet: The Wonderful World of Ashley Bryan
- On view June 11–September 3, 2017: Andy Warhol: Prints from the Collections of Jordan D. Schnitzer and His Family Foundation
- On view June 24–November 26, 2017: Merry Go Zoo (Sifly Piazza)
- On view November 18, 2018–February 17, 2019: Yayoi Kusama: Infinity Mirrors
Want a little something extra while you’re there? Head out for an event at The High. Here are a few:
- Friday, March 3, 2017: First Fridays. During March’s event, there’ll a drop-in art-making workshops, Talk A Curatorial Conversation on Cross Country: The Power of Place in American Art (1915–1950), drawing in the galleries, & more.
- Friday, March 17, 2017: Friday Jazz featuring David Potter
- April 1-2 & 7-8, 2017: Studio Spring Break at The High. From 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m. each day, there’ll be art-making workshops & more featuring a “Build It” theme. Free with museum admission.
- Friday, April 21, 2017: Friday Jazz featuring Jason Collier
The High Museum of Art is located at 1280 Peachtree St. NE, Atlanta.