UPDATED on 8/29/2021 — Apparently the free tours have been suspended. They no longer appear on the Woodruff Park or downtown events calendars.
Cancellations are picking up again, so be sure to verify the status of every event, before you head out.
You may also be interested in:
- The Dragon Con Parade in downtown Atlanta
- The Piedmont Park Arts Festival
- The Summer Shade Festival in Grant Park
- Doggy Con Pageant & Costume Contest in Woodruff Park
- Marietta Art in the Park Festival on Labor Day Weekend
- Atlanta Jazz Festival in Piedmont Park
Whether you’re new to Atlanta or have lived here most of your life, there’s always something to learn about our city’s rich heritage. You can dive into the history of downtown’s Woodruff Park and the surrounding Fairlie-Poplar business district during a FREE one-hour guided tour.
The tour takes place from noon to 1:00 p.m. on the first Thursday and third Saturday of each month. It begins at the ATL Playground in Woodruff Park, across from the Flatiron Building (which is located at 84 Peachtree St.)
This is a free event, but you should sign up in advance through Eventbrite.
The tour touches on the legacy of Robert W. Woodruff and other influential people and events of Atlanta’s modern history — from the Civil Rights movement to the growth of Coca-Cola.
We’ve attended this tour and it’s a lot of fun!
Wouldn’t you love to be able to point out a building to your friends and tell them the secret formula for Coca Cola was kept there, in a basement vault, for many decades?
For more information, check out Woodruff Park events on Facebook.
Upcoming tour dates in spring of 2021:
- Saturday, June 19th
- Thursday, July 1st
- Saturday, July 17th
- Thursday, August 5th
- You can see more dates through the Eventbrite link, above
About the venue
Woodruff Park is located at 91 Peachtree Street NW, in the Fairlie-Poplar district. It is bordered by Edgewood Avenue, Peachtree Street, Auburn Avenue, and Park Place.
This six-acre park is a natural gathering space for a diverse cross-section of Atlantans and a key starting point for exploring downtown Atlanta and its surrounding neighborhoods. Surrounding buildings include government offices, commerce, and Georgia State University.
Woodruff Park is easily accessible via both bus and rail. Two Atlanta Streetcar stops—Park Place and Woodruff Park—are located in the park. The park is also home to a Relay Bike Share hub.
If you’re using MARTA rail, it couldn’t be easier. The park is located between Five Points Station and Peachtree Center Station.
Five Points Directions
- Take any train to the Five Points MARTA station
- Go to street level and follow signs to the Peachtree Street exit
- Turn left on Peachtree Street and walk about a block
Peachtree Center Directions
- Take a red or gold line train to the Peachtree Center station
- Follow the signs to the Ellis Street at the south end of the train platform
- Exit the fare gates and follow signs to Peachtree Street East
- At street level, turn left on Peachtree Street (toward Residence Inn) to reach the park.