[exp] [/exp]On Friday, June 20, 2014, head to the Atlanta Cyclorama for a free Juneteenth Celebration.
From 11:00 a.m.-4:00 p.m., you can celebrate Juneteenth, which is the oldest known celebration commemorating the end of slavery in the United States, & participate in a mix of educational activities, poetry slams, and theater events. Plus, there’ll be Arts & Learning stations, face painting, and Civil War Reenactors from the 54th Massachusetts throughout the celebration.
Here’s the lineup of events:
- 11:00 a.m.: Junior Youth Genealogy (ages 5-11) led by the Afro-American Historical & Genealogical Society, Metro Atlanta Chapter. Experienced genealogists will assist children as they create family trees and participate in fun activities designed to help them understand family history.
- 11:45 a.m.: Senior Youth Genealogy (ages 12-18) led by the Afro-American Historical & Genealogical Society, Metro Atlanta Chapter.Genealogists will expose youth to basic genealogical information and guide them in its use. They also will provide important online information and handouts.
- 12:30 p.m.: Order of Freedomby Atlanta History Center Performers. This productionexplores the impact of the issuance of General Order No. 3 by General Gordon Granger on June 19, 1865, and the challenges faced by Cora and James Lewis as they begin their journey from enslavement to citizenship.
- 1:00 p.m.: Youth Open Mic (ages 12-18) Youth will have the opportunity to share original poetry or excerpts from short stories that focus on themes related to Juneteenth, the U.S. Civil War, and/or African American Enslavement or Emancipation.
- 2:00 p.m.: Order of Freedom by Atlanta History Center Performers.This productionexplores the impact of the issuance of General Order No. 3 by General Gordon Granger on June 19, 1865, and the challenges faced by Cora and James Lewis as they begin their journey from enslavement to citizenship.
- 2:30 p.m.: Genealogy Workshop (adults and families) led by Atlanta Afro-American Historical & Genealogical Society, Metro Atlanta Chapter& Atlanta History Center. AAHGS and AHC genealogist and archivist will lead a seminar on family genealogy and history. Participants will learn how to research, document and preserve important family history and ephemera.
FYI–Space is limited for scheduled Juneteenth activities. Be sure to email email@example.com to reserve space and include sessions that you will attend, along with total number of people in your party. Call 404-658-7625 for more information about the events.
Bonus: The Cyclorama will offer free admission during the Juneteenth Celebration. Viewings of the historic painting will take place at 11:30 a.m., 12:30 p.m., 1:30 p.m., 2:30 p.m., and 3:30 p.m.