Zoo Atlanta is a popular destination for Atlanta-area residents and visitors alike. It’s also fairly pricey as Atlanta attractions go, with full-price admission at the gate running $26 for ages twelve and older. Fortunately, there are ways to save a few dollars on your visit, starting with buying your tickets online in advance.
Here’s our updated guide to visiting Zoo Atlanta on the cheap. We’ll add to this page any time a new deal becomes available. And, if you see a Zoo Atlanta ticket discount that we’ve missed, please email us: firstname.lastname@example.org.
NOTE: There are currently two deals on transportation to Zoo Atlanta!
- Are you taking a MARTA train to the zoo? You can get a FREE Lyft ride (limited to $10) between Zoo Atlanta and either the Five Points or King Memorial Station. See the “getting there” section, below for details.
- Visiting Atlanta and staying in a downtown hotel? You can take a FREE Checker Cab ride to Zoo Atlanta. Get details and view participating hotels.
Grandparents Day FREE admission deal
September 8, 2019 is Grandparents Day — why not take grandma and grandpa to Zoo Atlanta?
For this one day only, two grandparents get in FREE with the purchase of one regularly priced admission — it can be either a child’s ticket or an adult’s general admission ticket.
Here’s how it works:
You can buy your regular price ticket(s) either online or in person at the Zoo Atlanta ticket booth. Then just mention “Grandparents Day” at the Zoo Atlanta admissions gate to claim the free tickets.
If you’re a Zoo Atlanta member who enjoys free admission with your membership, you can also take two grandparents to the zoo for free.
discount. Grandparents may also enjoy the Zoo free if accompanied by a Zoo Atlanta Member.
The Grandparents’ Day offer is valid only on Sunday, September 8, 2019; not valid with any other discount or promotion.
Online purchase discount
The “discounted” online prices may or may not result in decent savings for you. It depends on how many adult and children’s tickets you’re buying — because a $3 fee is added to each total order.
So, for example, if you purchase one adult plus one kid’s ticket online, your total savings is only one dollar after the fee is applied.
Online ticket prices:
- Adult (12+) — $22.99 (would be $25.99 at the gate)
- Child (3-11) — $16.99 (would be 17.99 at the gate)
- Senior (65+) — $18.99 (would be $21.99 at the gate)
College student discount
This discount is only available for tickets purchased at the gate. The price is $21.99 with a valid college ID, which is a savings of $4.
Free admission for military
This applies to all active-duty, reserve, veterans, and retired members of the U.S. Armed Force — every day the zoo is open.
You’ll need to present a valid military ID at the ticket booth.
Regular admission rates apply to family members and other guests.
Free admission through the Library Pass Program
If you have a library card, you can check out a family pass at Georgia’s public libraries. The pass is available at participating branches in all 159 counties. This pass gets you free admission to Zoo Atlanta for a family of four.
It works like this:
- Visit a public library with a valid library card
- Check out the Zoo Atlanta Library Pass DVD at the front desk
- Return the DVD within 7 days and receive a receipt
- Present the receipt plus your library card at Zoo Atlanta for free admission for a family of four (You have 14 days from the date on the receip to use the pass)
So here’s the catch: There is only one pass per library. That means it may be difficult for you to get your hands on it. It may be easier to get the pass at libraries farther outside Atlanta, but remember that you have to return it within seven days.
If you’re planning to visit multiple attractions in Atlanta, take advantage of the Atlanta CityPASS to save about 40% on admission to five Atlanta-area attractions.
The Atlanta CityPASS covers admission to The Georgia Aquarium, the World of Coca-Cola, the Inside CNN Studio Tour, Zoo Atlanta OR the Center for Civil & Human Rights, and Fernbank Museum of Natural History OR the College Football Hall of Fame.
It’s valid for nine days, and if you plan it right, you’ll have two full weekends + the weekdays in between to get to all of the attractions.
If you plan to visit Zoo Atlanta many times during the year, an annual membership may save you a bundle of money.
For example, the Family Membership covers two adults and four kids — giving all of you unlimited FREE admission to Zoo Atlanta for a full year. Plus, you’ll get a 10% discount for guests’ admission, and a bargain price of $8 for unlimited ride wristbands. The cost for all this is just $139 — which is tax deductible if you itemize your expenses. To put this in perspective, consider that paying full price for just one visit for six people over the age of 12 would cost $156.
Don’t have kids? The Companion Membership covers two adults for $109. This also works well for families who have children under the age of three, for whom admission is always free.
Getting there and parking
Zoo Atlanta is located at 800 Cherokee Ave., in Southeast Atlanta near Grant Park.
Parking at the zoo is free, but there are currently limited options, due to construction. The parking lot off Boulevard is now closed, leaving only the limited number of spaces in the Cherokee Avenue lot. You may also be able to find parking on the street.
MARTA to the zoo
Zoo Atlanta is near the King Memorial Station, on the Blue and Green rail lines (east-west lines).
Once you exit the station, you have a few transportation options:
- Walk. It’s about a 30-minute walk from the station to the zoo. The walk is pleasant enough, through the Grant Park neighborhood. (Click for walking directions)
- Bike. There are Relay Bike Share hubs at both Zoo Atlanta and the King Memorial Station.
- FREE Lyft offer. Use coupon code ZOOSUMMER19 to get a free Lyft ride between Zoo Atlanta and either of two MARTA rail stations: Five Points or King Memorial. Note that this offer is limited to $10 per trip — in times of surge pricing, your ride may exceed that. PLEASE CHECK THE OFFER DETAILS CAREFULLY.