AMC Theatres will begin their first phase of reopening on August 20th with 100 theaters nationwide — including eight movie theaters in the metro Atlanta area. The chain has been shuttered for roughly five months, thanks to you-know-what.
And, to lure moviegoers back, AMC is offering a blockbuster deal — movie tickets at 1920 prices, which is 15 cents per seat, on re-opening day.
The 15-cent movie ticket deal is good for that one day only on Thursday, August 20, 2020. You’ll find a list of participating Atlanta-area theaters just below.
Remember: Just because something is open doesn’t mean you have to go. Weigh all your risk factors and decide for yourself if it’s worth it. Check out our list of drive-in movie theaters and our list of outdoor summer movies if those seem like safer options for you.
Note that theaters will be limited to 30% capacity to allow for more distance between viewers. Masks are required before, during, and after the movie, unless you are eating or drinking.
There are seven other AMC theaters around metro Atlanta that are NOT scheduled to reopen yet. However, they may open in time for the September 3rd release of Warner Bros.’ Tenet — it’s expected that 300-400 more AMC theaters will be open nationwide by then.
In a press statement, Adam Aron, CEO and President of AMC Theatres, commented: “We are thrilled to once again open our doors to American moviegoers who are looking for an opportunity to get out of their houses and apartments and escape into the magic of the movies.”
But the deals don’t stop there.
Old favorites for just $5
After opening day, AMC plans to hold $5 screenings of bring-back titles. These include:
- Black Panther
- Back to the Future
- Star Wars: Episode V – The Empire Strikes Back
You can look for these titles on your theater’s web page and buy tickets in advance.
Through October 31, AMC is also offering an array of $5 food and beverage treats. These include regular popcorn, regular Coca-Cola Freestyle drink and KidsPacks. And, AMC Stubs rewards program members will earn double points on all eligible purchases.
You may also be interested in Regal Cinemas “Flashback Features,” which run from August 21 to September 3. Tickets are $5 for adults and $3 for kids.
Atlanta theaters re-opening on August 20th
AMC Theatres reopens its doors on August 20 by celebrating 100 years of business with “Movies in 2020 at 1920 Prices. “
Remember, this is a one-day deal only, and capacity is limited to allow for increased distance between moviegoers.
Participating theaters include
- AMC Avenue Forsyth in Cumming
- AMC Colonial 18 in Lawrenceville
- AMC Parkway Pointe in Atlanta
- AMC Phipps Plaza 14 in Atlanta
- AMC DINE-IN North Point 12 in Alpharetta
- AMC North Dekalb Mall 16 in Decatur
- AMC Southlake Pavilion 24 in Morrow
- AMC Sugarloaf Mills 18 in Lawrenceville
We were able to see online what’s playing at these theaters, and even to choose seats and buy tickets in advance.
These are some of the titles scheduled for the 15-cent price on Thursday, August 20th at various participating theaters:
- Black Panther
- Beauty and the Beast
- The Goonies
- I Still Believe
- Jumanji: The Next Level
- Sonic the Hedgehog
- Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back
You can check your nearest theater for titles and showtimes and BUY 15-cent ADVANCE TICKETS here.
Note that AMC is requiring face masks for all guests.
You may also be interested in:
- Subscribe to our daily newsletter and stay in the know!
- Metro Atlanta area Farmers Markets, listed by day of the week
- Free and cheap things to do this week
- Local daily deals from Groupon
- Atlanta on the Cheap events calendar
New releases coming to AMC Theatres
As new movies are released, they will also be available at AMC Theatres.
Scheduled for release on August 21:
- Train to Busan Presents: Peninsula
- Cut Throat City
- Words on Bathroom Walls
- Inception (10th anniversary event)
Scheduled for release on August 28:
- The New Mutants
- Personal History of David Copperfield
Scheduled for release on September 3:
Scheduled for release on September 11:
Scheduled for release on September 18:
- The King’s Man
- War with Grandpa
For full title and showtime information, check your theater’s webpage on amctheatres.com.
AMC’s new “safe & clean” policy
From the website:
AMC Safe & Clean components include:
- significant reductions in the maximum tickets available for each showtime and seat blocking in reserved seating auditoriums to allow for appropriate social distancing between parties
- enhanced cleaning procedures that include extra time between showtimes to allow for a full, thorough cleaning and nightly disinfecting utilizing electrostatic sprayers
- use of high tech HEPA vacuums, upgraded air filtration efforts including the use of MERV 13 filters wherever possible
- new guest and associate safety protocols that include mandatory mask wearing by all guests and associates
- hand sanitizing stations throughout the theater and the availability to guests of disinfectant wipes.
Stay in the know! Subscribe to our newsletter.