If you haven’t been to The High Museum of Art in a while, now’s an awesome time to go. There are quite a few special exhibitions currently on display & coming soon that look like they’re well worth the trip.
On display through May 18, 2018 you can explore the science & tech of furniture design as well as experimental methods of fabrication via the Joris Laarman Lab: Design in the Digital Age exhibition. And the Mark Steinmetz: Terminus exhibition opened earlier this month. On view through June 3, 2018, the photographs explore the “activity and interactions that take place at this crossroads of the contemporary South,” Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
Plus, The Amy Elkins: Black is the Day, Black is the Night exhibition has been extended through April 29, 2018, and it looks fascinating; the multi-layered photographic project explores the psychological effects of long-term solitary confinement. And the A Fire That No Water Could Put Out: Civil Rights Photography exhibition, on display through May 27, 2018, explores the era of Dr. King’s leadership, the year of his death, and contemporary reflections on the Civil Rights Movement’s enduring legacy.
Want to check out the High Museum of Art on the cheap? Take advantage of a discount ticket deal (or, even better, free admission) to the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, no coupon code required.
1) While they last, $30 buys two tickets to the High Museum of Art and a $20 gift card to Fifth Group Restaurants (The Original El Taco, Lure, Ecco, South City Kitchen, & more), thanks to a deal on PoshDealz.
2) On Second Sundays at The High Museum of Art, museum admission is free from noon-5:00 p.m., and there’ll be special activities & workshops. The next Second Sundays free admission day will take place on April 8, 2018.
3) All active & veteran military personnel as well as one guest will receive free admission to The High Museum of Art & free parking in the Woodruff Arts Center deck with proof of service. Proof of service includes valid military, retiree, military/retiree dependent identification card or a DD Form 214 (Report of Separation).
4) Bank of America and Merrill Lynch cardholders get free admission on the first full weekend of the month, thanks to the Museums on Us program (discount applies to cardholder only). The next free admission weekend will be April 7 & 8, 2018.
And mark your calendars for upcoming exhibitions:
- On view June 3-September 2, 2018: Winnie the Pooh: Exploring a Classic
- On view June 24-September 30, 2018: Outliers and American Vanguard Art
- On view June 24-October 7, 2018: Sonic Playground: Yuri Suzuki
- On view September 29, 2018–January 6, 2019: With Drawn Arms: Glenn Kaino & Tommie Smith
- On view November 18, 2018–February 17, 2019: Yayoi Kusama: Infinity Mirrors
Want a little something extra while you’re there? Head out for an event at The High, most of which are free with museum admission. Here are a few:
- Friday, April 6, 2018: First Fridays. From 6:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m., there’ll drop-in art-making workshops, live performances, & more.
- Saturday, April 7, 2018: Studio Spring Break. From 1:00 p.m.-4:00 p.m., you can create your own masterpiece.
- Sunday, April 8, 2018: Second Sundays. Museum admission is free, plus there’ll be special activities, including Toddler Tours, art-making workshops, Art Movers, Baby Steps, & more.
- Friday, April 20, 2018: Friday Jazz featuring Emmannuel “Chops” Smith.
- Friday, May 18, 2018: Friday Jazz featuring Che Marshall.
The High Museum of Art is located at 1280 Peachtree St. NE, Atlanta.