If you haven’t been to The High Museum of Art in a while, now’s an awesome time to go. There are quite a few special exhibitions currently on display & coming soon that look like they’re well worth the trip.
On display through September 2, 2018 you can check out what will likely make my short list of favorite exhibitions: Winnie the Pooh: Exploring a Classic. Featuring 200+ works that span the 90+ year history of the classic childhood tales, the exhibition will look at the origins, creation, & legacy of the stories written by A.A. Milne and illustrated by E.H. Shepard.
And the Mark Steinmetz: Terminus exhibition closes later this month. On view through June 24, 2018, the photographs explore the “activity and interactions that take place at this crossroads of the contemporary South,” Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
FYI: The High is undergoing its first gallery renovations and permanent collection reinstallation since 2005. As a result, all galleries in the Stent Family Wing (American Art, Decorative Arts and Design, European Art, Folk and Self-Taught Art, Modern and Contemporary Art, and Photography), including the Greene Family Learning Gallery, are closed for construction and renovation. The redesigned gallery spaces will open in October.
Want to check out the High Museum of Art on the cheap? Take advantage of a discount ticket deal (or, even better, free admission) to the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, no coupon code required.
1) While they last, $30 buys two tickets to the High Museum of Art and a $20 gift card to Fifth Group Restaurants (The Original El Taco, Lure, Ecco, South City Kitchen, & more), thanks to a deal on PoshDealz.
2) On Second Sundays at The High Museum of Art, museum admission is free from noon-5:00 p.m., and there’ll be special activities & workshops. The next Second Sundays free admission day will take place on June 10, 2018.
3) All active & veteran military personnel as well as one guest will receive free admission to The High Museum of Art & free parking in the Woodruff Arts Center deck with proof of service. Proof of service includes valid military, retiree, military/retiree dependent identification card or a DD Form 214 (Report of Separation).
4) Bank of America and Merrill Lynch cardholders get free admission on the first full weekend of the month, thanks to the Museums on Us program (discount applies to cardholder only). The next free admission weekend will be July 7 & 8, 2018.
And mark your calendars for upcoming exhibitions:
- On view June 24-September 30, 2018: Outliers and American Vanguard Art
- On view June 24-October 7, 2018: Sonic Playground: Yuri Suzuki (outdoors on Sifly Piazza)
- On view September 29, 2018–January 6, 2019: With Drawn Arms: Glenn Kaino & Tommie Smith
- On view November 18, 2018–February 17, 2019: Yayoi Kusama: Infinity Mirrors
Want a little something extra while you’re there? Head out for an event at The High, most of which are free with museum admission. Here are a few:
- Sunday, June 10, 2018: Second Sundays. Museum admission is free, plus there’ll be special activities, including Toddler Tours, art-making workshops, Art Movers, Baby Steps, & more.
- Friday, June 15, 2018: Friday Jazz featuring Mausiki Scales and the Common Ground Collective.
- Friday, July 6, 2018: First Fridays. From 6:00 p.m.-9:00 p.m., there’ll be drop-in art-making workshops, live performances, gallery talks & tours, & more.
- Sunday, July 8, 2018: Second Sundays. Museum admission is free, plus there’ll be special activities, including Toddler Tours, art-making workshops, Art Movers, Baby Steps, & more.
- Friday, July 20, 2018: Friday Jazz featuring Joe Gransden Big Band.
- Sunday, August 12, 2018: Second Sundays. Museum admission is free, plus there’ll be special activities, including Toddler Tours, art-making workshops, Art Movers, Baby Steps, & more.
- Friday, August 17, 2018: Friday Jazz featuring Marquis Hare.
The High Museum of Art is located at 1280 Peachtree St. NE, Atlanta.